2020 KCCP Mid-Point Update
Updated December 29, 2019
KING COUNTY COMPREHENSIVE PLAN MID-POINT UPDATE
The King County Comprehensive Plan (KCCP) is required under the State’s Growth Management Act (GMA). The KCCP guides residential, commercial, and industrial development and growth and zoning in our rural area. King County conducts Major Updates (every 8 years), Mid-Point Reviews (interim 4th year), and Annual Updates. In 2020 a Mid-Point Review will be published accoerding to the following timeline:
- January 2, 2019 – King County Executive transmits Scope of Work.
- February 28, 2019 – Deadline for King County Council adoption of Scope of Work.
- July 1, 2019 – Executive releases a Public Review Draft (PRD) with a 30-day public comment period. Ivan Miller, King County Comprehensive Planning Manager, is planning to hold six Public Open Houses (one will be in the southend–location TBD) to discuss the 2020 KCCP 4-yr Mid-Point Update Public Review Draft (PRD), which will consist of (1) a draft Ordinance showing proposed changes to King County Code using a strikethrough format; and (2) the proposed KCCP changes. The Public Open Houses will be ~2 hours long and include: (a) opening meet and greet with KC people at multiple tables with information about the PRD (much like the Annual CSA Meetings at the Hobart Church); (b) presentation by Mr Miller with Q & A; and (c) more time for mingling around the KC tables with more specific questions.
- July 31, 2019, – Public copmments are due to the King County Executive’s Office.
- September 30, 2019 – Executive transmits the Executive Recommended Plan to the County Council.
- June 30, 2020 – Deadline for Council adoption of 2020 Comprehensive Plan.
As shown above, the process for the 2020 “Mid-Point Review” started with the King County Executive transmitting a Scoping Document (i.e., Scope of Work) to the King County Council on January 2, 2019. On February 15, 2019, the GMVUAC along with four other Rural Area organizations (EPCA, GV/LHA, HHA, and UBCUAC) submitted a joint set of comments to the King County Council on the Executive’s Scoping Document: UACs/UAAs Joint Comment Letter.
The King County Executive, on July 1, 2019, published a Public Review Draft (PRD) of proposed amendments to the Comprehensive Plan: 2020 KCCP Public Review Draft Website. These amendments propose to make substantial and significant changes to the policies applicable to the Rural Area. An Area Council-led effort of all Rural Area UACs and UAAs submitted Joint Detailed Comments to King County on its PRD on July 31, 2019.
Following a thorough review of Public Comments, on September 30, 2019, the King County Executive submitted his Proposed KCCP Update to the King County Council. Accompanying this, the Executive published a Public Comment and Response Report. On pp. 94-113 all Joint King County Rural Area UAC/UAA Comments (LH-side of the page), the Executive’s response, and actions taken thereupon (RH-side of the page) can be reviewed.
The King County Council assigned its review to its Mobility and Environment Committee which meets on the first and third Tuesdays of the month at 1:30 p.m. in the Council Chambers on the 10th floor of the King County Courthouse. This committee will hold Public Hearings and accept written comments from the public.
The full King County Council has until June 30, 2020, to approve the Final KCCP Mid-Point Update. This Update is Proposed Ordinance 2019-0413.