

GMVUAC August 7, 2017 Meeting Minutes

Meeting Called to Order – 7:04 pm

Members Present:

Steve Hiester Hank Haynes
Peter Rimbos Linda Harer
Adam Sterling Warren Iverson
Stephen Deutschman Susan Harvey

Members Absent:

Rhys Sterling (proxy to Adam)
Sue Neuner (proxy to Steve)
Lorraine Blacklock (proxy to Warren)

Agenda:

Steve: Jerome Cruz will not be here, so we can remove that agenda item.

Linda moved to approve agenda, Hank seconded.

Motion passed

Public Comment Period:

None

Steve: Did fire district bond pass?

Stephen: No, last I saw on Friday is it failed with 56% voting against it.

Susan: Why did people not vote for it?

Adam: I think the problem was that there were no specifics or limitations in the actual text of the measure we were voting on, it was a blank check.

Hank: The arts funding measure for King County also failed.

Peter: I thought it was great idea, but I'm against increasing the sales tax.

Marissa: Looking at the results in the paper, it was 56% against.

Susan: The consequences are that they will have to close down the Ravensdale and Hobart fire stations?

Guest Speakers:

None

Council Business:

Website Update: Linda Harer

Linda: Some changes have been made to the website, we had a bogus layout before, now behind it is actual programming for voting/collecting data, and a program for facilitating contact with us. I had meeting with Peter for the little details, giving those to the developer in chewable amounts. The entire left-hand column will be operational at the end of the week, there will be glitches, but we will import what's already on our old site, and full functionality is expected within 30 days. I apologize for the delay, but I have been traveling.

Hank: Have you tried saving the website on a flash drive? Does it work with older operating systems?

Linda: Haven't tried that, it should function, and if it's screwy we'll fix it. Give me input on what needs to be adapted, first 2 steps is getting the website up, and step 3 is teaching everyone how to do their own updates to the site.

Peter: We will move stuff over, but we will not be reformatting the old files, such as minutes etc., Linda will put a link in to bring things over as an archive.

Steve: What format are the files currently in?

Linda: It's a little of everything.

Peter: Things can be downloaded as pdf files, some as Word files, that's the way it is now, but as we go forward...

Linda: We will try to use a consistent format in the future, and when downloading files users will be able to choose what format to download in.

Peter: Almost everything right now is in Word.

Linda: Going forward it will give you the option for downloading.

Steve: How long will we keep things archived?

Linda: It doesn't cost anything, and we have lots of capacity.

Peter: Indefinitely, we have no videos so all of our files are small.

Steve: I searched earlier and found two websites for the GMVUAC, one was our standard site, and the second was one with a picture of Mount Rainier.

Linda: Tom made that site a long time ago, still online for whatever reason.

Peter: I was going to ask if we can take stuff off of that.

Linda: People are starting to recognize who we are in the Voice of the Valley, this is a real step forward for publicity, when we have something to announce, we need to remember that older versions of communication (posting flyers in community centers) are still viable for non-tech savvy folks, lots of companies do that. Currently we don't do a great job working with our constituents, so the next step is we all need to think about how we can better serve our constituents to attract them to meetings. Our job is to serve them, and I plan on bringing a few tips/ideas each meeting. My observation is that people come and sit, we ask for public comment, but it would be better to give parameters first, how long the meeting will last, and ask for people to introduce themselves. We want to validate their presence and let them know that we want their input. We need to do a better job.

What do our visitors today think?

Bonnie Curran: One thing I would like is that King County (KC) sends me their letter about activities in KC, I went earlier to check that there's a meeting, etc., so I would like to see what the agenda/guest speakers are there ahead of time, highlight what you'll talk about, people have interests/problems and they'll show up if something affects them.

Peter: We do that now on our website and in the Voice of the Valley newspaper, do you see those? What about the Unincorporated Area (UA) news?

Bonnie Curran: No, I do get the note from KC. People will not actively go look for things, easier if its already in my inbox, other councils will have link in the UA news.

Peter: We have one too, it's always been there, but we'll check.

Bonnie Curran: I would have clicked on the link if it was there.

Peter: The agenda's not on our website, but when we have speakers they are posted there.

Linda: What would improve the experience once a guest arrives? So that they know what's going on.

Bonnie Curran: I can't think of anything, it's a meeting room, people can be shy so maybe say hello, ask at the door if they're here for a specific reason.

Peter: Should we ask everyone their names at the beginning of the meeting?

Bonnie Curran: That could work, ask what neighborhood they're from, it gives you an idea of who you're representing.

Steve: Some would be comfortable with that, some not, I've seen that in business meetings, but in public meetings not so much.

Warren: It makes sense especially if they're coming for the first time.

Linda: It's all in how you approach people, should be nonchalantly, just say "welcome, we're glad your here," and introduce ourselves.

Bonnie Curran: Sometimes just saying your own name and where you're from makes a big difference.

Linda: We don't connect well, need to take some time to do that. Also, laying down time parameters, people don't feel comfortable leaving and end up sitting through committee reports, then never come back.

Bonnie Curran: You should tell people they're welcome to leave when you get to council reports, maybe take a break.

Linda: Our meetings tend to go for a long time, guests need to know they can leave.

Peter: What about the agenda handout, should we just write it on the board?

Adam: You could post it on the door so people can see the agenda when they come in?

Steve: We have never run out of agendas.

Linda: We could put up sign, something that says its okay to take an agenda.

Warren: I like idea of putting one outside if it's ok with the fire department, then maybe have a box of agendas in the front.

Bonnie Curran: You could announce where the agendas are at the beginning of the meeting, or when people come in.

Hank: Can we encourage notes or comments from guests?

Warren: My observation from school board and fire department meetings is that usually there is little public participation unless they are commemorating someone or

giving a presentation, or if it's a hot-button issue, the fire department allows public comment at the beginning then again at the middle.

Peter: The city council does it at the beginning and end.

Steve: Do they limit when people can ask questions during presentations?

Peter: It depends on the subject.

Warren: Most allow 2 minutes per meeting per individual/group.

Steve: I've been limiting questions during presentations, then opening it up after speakers are finished, then moving on to next item. Does that work?

Bonnie Curran: Also let people know ahead of time that it's okay to ask questions and make comments.

Warren: And make sure we announce that we have agendas, etc.

Peter: I like the idea of introducing ourselves, the connection is a good idea, this isn't a Boeing management meeting, it should not be intimidating. But when the room is full we can't do that.

Bonnie Curran: You could also redo your name plates, put in the name of the area that each of you represent.

Warren: There was a marijuana meeting last Friday, Adrian Medved made a filing, I will have more info next month.

Peter: I will talk about that more during the committee reports.

Steve: As for the agenda, it's usually not finalized until the week before a meeting.

Peter: In general, we know a month ahead of time. For example, with Reserve Silica, even if we didn't know who exactly would be here, we knew which groups and agencies would be here, but maybe not individual names. If it changes, we can always revise the agenda.

Bonnie Curran: Sometimes putting down future agenda items/speakers can generate interest, even if we don't know who exactly will be there.

Linda: The goal of the website is to collect emails and keep people informed, that includes agendas.

Bonnie Curran: Once the website is up, the agenda will get updated immediately.

Steve: We already announce the speakers, but we don't post agendas.

Linda: In summary, I count four suggestions. Move agendas to an accessible position and let people know they can take them, make introductions so people know who we are and that we're representing them, let guests know we welcome their input, and give them time parameters and let them know it's okay to leave when we have an extended meeting. That's just good etiquette.

Peter: Also, when we revise our nameplates, we should put community areas on the nametags. We have a service area map, some areas look like they're gerrymandered just to make the populations equal. I love the ideas, but who will do all this stuff, the PR Committee?

Linda: It can be PR, or whoever's running the meeting. I will take care of the nameplates, but next month I will be in New York City.

Warren: I will bring a box for the agendas.

Peter: Getting back to the website, Linda has some great ideas for the right-hand column, we need to talk about contacts and voting on issues.

Linda: Mail Chimp will be embedded in the right-hand column, we will use it to solicit

emails with a disclaimer that we're not using emails for anything else, then we can send out agendas to subscribers. Voting will be a challenge, we need to use a filter within the surveys to make sure that people are actually our constituents, it's not 100% foolproof, when people leave their contact info we will ask if they live in the Tahoma school district but not in an incorporated area, if yes then they're our constituents. We will start with simple questions, it will take a while to build up our database, simple yes/no votes until the official votes are available. Any info will go to me and the PR Committee, but it can be handed off to someone else, just need to maintain a database.

Peter: The PR Committee is also in charge of elections according to our bylaws.

Steve: Within the Tahoma school district, I remember seeing some people from the cities of Maple Valley, Black Diamond, Kent, etc. I've been looking at data from voting precincts.

Peter: If you look at Tom's maps and white out the city of Maple Valley, there's no one else in the area. There could be multiple precincts within the school district, so we should check. Do voting precincts change?

Steve: Precincts get revised, some go away, some get combined. We can get a list of registered voters from KC.

Adam: Do we even have elections anymore? In our most recent bylaws changes, I thought we did away with elections and now it's entirely volunteer, if you want to be on the council you just need to apply.

Steve: That's true, but we will still be doing surveys.

Bonnie Curran: I like the idea of no elections.

Peter: When doing surveys, we still need to figure out if they're our constituents.

Adam: If that formulation is what you believed our constituents to be, why can't that be what it is? Just anyone living within the Tahoma school district, but not living in an incorporated city.

Peter: Okay, if that works for everyone.

Steve: Is it worth it to spend money to find out exactly whether people are our constituents? Or will Linda just use their responses as a filter on the honor system?

Linda: The only other option is asking everyone to provide physical addresses when we ask for email addresses. When they sign up for emails, they will give their email and name, and one idea was to set up a form letter asking for their street address to ascertain their residency for voting purposes. We talked about it, but there's not a lot of people.

Peter: It doesn't seem necessary if we don't have elections anymore.

Warren: It sounds like a lot of work.

Linda: I could verify addresses if necessary.

Peter: There are two things, one is the filter for surveys, the second is the mailing list signup for agendas, etc., which is separate from surveys.

Linda: There will be two boxes on the website, contact me and survey. We can filter as folks come in asking people where they live, if they live in our area or if they don't but just want to find out more info. The email list then can be used to filter surveys for voter info. All the info would be coming to the PR Committee, but it

should be going to multiple places.

Peter: Another thing is if someone has a question...

Linda: Right now we have one email address, contact@gmvuac.org, everything is just going to Peter because there are so few hits right now, but as our website grows then we'll address how to route info to parties, it could be a dropdown menu for specific questions, such as questions to the Environmental Committee, but that's down the road. The link is already there, but our website is not live yet.

Steve: What I heard is that Peter will answer all the emails.

Peter: If people want to get on our mailing list, they can click on a box and type in their address, but if they just want to ask a question about what's happening, it'll go to me, and I'll forward it to the proper committee based on content, but somewhere down the road we will have a way to directly contact each committee. There will also be a monthly, rotating survey question.

Bonnie Curran: I don't know what I think about the website, I will have to see it first. But it sounds great.

Peter: Any more questions? We are talking about the website being live in 30 days, then we will talk about policies for email, etc. next meeting. We will have dummy email addresses forwarding incoming questions to individual email addresses, so we will need to develop policies. Thanks to Linda for her work.

Steve: Who will make copies of the agenda? I do them now.

Peter: Council members don't need agendas, so just make enough for the public.

Train Show: Steve Hiester

Steve: Who's on the committee?

Bonnie Curran: When is the train show this year.

Susan: It's on the third weekend of October, whenever that is.

Peter: It's posted on our website, and it's also in the Voice of the Valley.

Steve: How do we get more people into train show?

Linda: Last year there was a terrible wind storm.

Steve: We have more exhibitors signed up now than last time, it will be crowded. There are two more, one of them wasn't at the train show for a couple years but is coming back.

Susan: What about little steam engine outside?

Hank: How about steam engine art/photos? I have some exceptional prints.

Steve: We will think about it. The train show is on the 21st and 22nd of October, I need to know who's available to help, then we need to advertise get more people in.

Susan: What's our goal? You said there's usually 500-600 people, are you thinking of 700-800?

Steve: One year we had 1,000.

Peter: We had flyers/newsletters before, but who does that? We need a GMVUAC newsletter to hand out to people coming in. It would be a great opportunity to market the council.

Steve: We haven't been doing that, no one's been making any newsletters.

Linda: That's a good idea, it'll let people know more about us.

Bonnie Curran: You also got a lot of good input after the last train show.

Peter: I can make a newsletter if the PR Committee can tell me what to put in it.

Warren: We can also mention OSS, the Hirst decision, etc., publicize what it is we do and what we talk about.

Peter: The PR committee was created for this reason, the train show is our only event aside from monthly meetings.

Linda: I am busy so I will assign it to Lorraine (Warren accepts as proxy).

Peter: The PR committee will need to tell me what info they need, I can put it together, and they can figure out the format.

Steve: We will need someone at the train show to hand them out.

Linda: I will hand them out at the door.

Steve: The front desk is difficult to manage, I've been doing it for 12 years.

Susan: Will we be having a Train Show Committee meeting?

Steve: I will try to set up something for next week.

Stephen: Last year I did the night shift, I vacuumed everything, herded elk, etc.

Future Speakers: Peter Rimbos

Warren: I would like to invite Betsy Howe from COOMWA, I would like her to contribute to the discussion on the Vashon Island comprehensive plan, we need to make sure KC recognizes the difference between septic tanks and direct flushing into Puget Sound.

Peter: Our next meeting is on September 11th, the second Monday. I want to get ideas for the next few months.

Warren: If the fire district bond failed, they will probably be back in November for another ballot item, but not a fire benefit charge this time. I heard rumors of a 3-year levy lid lift, don't know if that's true. The first one was 80 votes short, this one was big loss.

Peter: We will need to invite the fire chief for that.

Warren: The 14th/15th of this month is when the final votes are tallied, I will have to attend a meeting by then to find out the facts.

Peter: I found out from Ivan Miller with the Executive's Office last week that KC Council might be moving the 4-year comprehensive plan update so it's not on the same year as the budget. Right now it's a biannual budget, so they're thinking of moving the comprehensive plan update to 2019 or 2021. If it's 2019 it'll start next February, so we would want Ivan to come talk to us at the beginning of the year. Another thing is the Community Service Area (CSA) plan, which is already planned for 2019. I just sent out the Vashon Island CSA plan last week, and our CSA plan is scheduled for 2019. This is a brand new thing, each CSA is developing their own mini comprehensive plan. This is a new thing, so we want to give input. We will want to have Ivan and Allen Painter come talk to us about that, especially if the comprehensive plan is moved to 2019.

Marissa: The CSA plan will probably start in late 2018, no idea how long it'll take. The Vashon Island CSA plan took two years because it was the first one.

Peter: We will want an agenda item in the next six months.

Steve: How long has it been since the last budget update?

Peter: 2016, it's done biannually.

Marissa: The council will start putting it together during the summer of 2018.

Hank: How about having someone from the Puget Sound Regional Council (PSRC)?

Peter: Our contact at PSRC just retired, Charlie Howard, now we will need to cultivate new contacts, Hank is reaching out on the economic side, it wouldn't hurt to have a PSRC speaker, maybe in a combined Unincorporated Area Council (UAC) meeting. We should put PSRC speaker on our list, ask committees what they want. How about other KC departments, such as Parks or the Department of Permitting and Environmental Review (DPER)?

Bonnie Curran: How about updates on past important agenda items? You've had speakers in here for things such as charges for wells, road construction, etc., and it would be nice to have updates on past items, to see what happened after their presentations.

Peter: Our committees make recommendations, for Growth Management the KC Department of Transportation (KCDOT) is doing a holistic study of Francis Lake Road, and it's things like that we need to get updates on.

Hank: PSRC handles growth targets for local municipalities, is there a similar agency in charge of growth targets for the whole state?

Peter: No, the state delegated responsibility to regional planning organizations (RPOs), PSRC also reviews comprehensive plans. It's a good idea to have someone from PSRC, also want to do follow-ups on prior speakers.

Bonnie Curran: Especially if they're doing something different from what they said in their presentation. DPER needs to be fixed, for example.

Peter: It's in how they get their budget, DPER is just concentrating on streamlining permitting.

Warren: What about someone from the city of Maple Valley? They've been here in the past, such as the transportation idea from Les Burberry.

Steve: I haven't heard anything more about that.

Susan: I've been meaning to contact him.

Peter: I like the idea of interacting with cities, we should reciprocate, but I haven't been to a Maple Valley city council meeting in years, I have been to Covington meetings. Not sure if the transportation benefit district is only thing we should be talking about.

Steve: Backtracking, I found a list of registered voters in the Tahoma school district. There were 27,300 registered voters in 2015 within Tahoma, 17,000 lived in incorporated cities, the other 10,000 are our constituents. Black Diamond is also near the new high school, many are in the Tahoma school district. I didn't see anything for Covington or Kent.

July Meeting Minutes: Adam Sterling

Peter moved to approve minutes, Hank seconded.

Motion passed

Linda: I have to leave, going out-of-state tomorrow morning, but I just ordered new nameplates for everyone, they will include the areas we represent.

(Linda had to leave)

Committee Reports:

Economic: Hank Haynes

Hank: I brought a rough draft for a speech to give during the next PSRC meeting, I came up with bullet examples for how local government has done things in the past to meet safety goals, how to get money from the federal government, and how the PSRC can work with inventors to encourage growth.

Peter: In your speech, will you not be talking about the Regional Economic Strategy (RES)?

Hank: The PSRC has no mechanism for public input at this point, but they are looking for mechanisms to reach goals within their strategies, some are economic in character and some environmental. They're looking for potentially achievable bullet points, they write analysis papers so I'm trying to come up with ideas that they can work with, to couple individual needs with opportunities in the federal government to work on the same thing.

Peter: What does this have to do with the PSRC RES? If it fits a specific point in the RES, you need to state so.

Hank: (Reads draft speech)

Peter: If this speech is for the economic development board, my comment would still be to tie it to one of the goals or strategies they have published.

Susan: Are you asking them to do something? What is the purpose of doing this speech?

Hank: I am looking to point out methods that cost little and will encourage innovation.

Peter: If you only have two minutes to speak, you will have to cut it down. You also need to restate how this ties in to the RES.

Susan: It should have specific bullet points, focus more on your two comments.

Peter: We're not ready to vote tonight, but we should give the power to the Economic Committee to put together something with guidelines, it must tie into the PSRC's RES goals or strategies, it should focus on two points, and it must be two minutes long. I'm willing to grant conditional approval to the committee, the PSRC meeting is on September 6th. The speech must be tied directly to the RES. I would also be careful talking about their "report writing" capability, and I don't understand what anything the PSRC does has to do with in-court statements?

Hank: I will propose that we accept the draft conditionally, and my committee will reduce it to one page, etc.

Steve: This is my first time seeing this, it's pretty broad. We can try to hash it out as a committee.

Warren: PSRC is above our pay grade, what is GMVUAC going to do to solve these problems? Everything they're talking about is very high level.

Hank moved to request the authority for the Economic Committee to put together a two-minute speech for Hank to read at the next PSRC meeting subject to the aforementioned conditions, Susan seconded.

Motion passed

Susan: When will we see the final draft?

Peter: The Economic Committee will email it to the rest of the members, Peter is not on committee.

Steve: Just don't wait until the last second.

Peter: We washed our hands of this, trusting the committee.

Growth Management: Peter Rimbos

Peter: I would like other committees to try putting together task lists, it's a good way to keep track of the stuff we're working on. The only additions/changes this time were that the state legislature did not come up with a Hirst fix, it's still up to the counties, until KC hears from the state they'll probably do a 18-month water availability study.

Warren: According to the news, they might not pass a capital budget until next session due to Hirst. If the Democrats take over the Senate, they're fine with it.

Peter: My understanding is the Supreme Court left it up to jurisdictions, I don't know the details, but the counties have the authority to meet their own comprehensive plans, KC has to do something if the legislature doesn't fix it. Eventually the state will have to make a decision. If KC does a study, we have to be part of it, and John Taylor is our point man.

Susan: I heard everything is at standstill, permits not moving forward.

Peter: Each county decides how they handle permitting, so we would have to ask DPER if they've stopped granting permits, but probably not. They're probably saying they'll do a study, but smaller counties might stop issuing permits. The problem is that everyone interprets it differently. I have not heard that KC has stopped issuing permits.

Steve: But some counties have. Lawsuits are closer than we may think.

Peter: The next new item is what we've learned from Reserve Silica regarding the docket item submitted to KC for rezoning acres to RA-10, I had a conversation with Ivan Miller and explained to him about the water banking, etc., because he was not at our last meeting, but the one prior to it. I asked him to keep us up to date on whether we can give input on items, etc., but any recommendations from the KC Executive must be given to the KC Council by December 1st. The KC Council will have to review the docket item and then make a decision. There are many underlying issues that we heard from Greg Wingard and Michael Brathovde before, and Ivan knows about most of that stuff, but we'll keep tracking it. And because the major comprehensive plan review might be moved to 2019, we need to find out more details, how the CSA planning is done, etc., so we will need Ivan to come talk to us. I also need more than five members on the Growth

Management Committee.

Warren: Backing up, in last month's minutes, it's 5,000 gallons/day for exempt wells, on the 5th page.

Transportation: Susan Harvey

Susan: We need to get in contact with people for the 2040 update on transportation.

Peter: We also need to cultivate new contacts with Charlie Howard retiring.

Environmental: Rhys Sterling

Warren: Regarding COOMWA, they have been invited to sit in on a state Onsite Septic System (OSS) board, probably under the Department of Ecology or Health, they say they've won a major battle, and that property owners will now have to be notified when people come onto their property to check septic systems. Easements are no longer part of the permits, that change was a state decision. For Vashon Island, they need to recognize the difference between septic systems and direct pollution, Betsy's comments are that OSS is not the source of the problem but it's a source of fees, nothing here is polluting Puget Sound.

Peter: According to the Vashon Island CSA plan, KC has been taking septage off of the island and disposing it somewhere, in the future they are planning to do a study so KC does not have to transport septage off of the island. We might need someone who put together the CSA plan to come speak to us.

Steve: In areas such as Salmon Bay, many places have put up treatment tanks in individual residences.

Steve: I also attended the Cedar River Council meeting, they talked about the closure of Cedar River from Highway 18 to the Maplewood Golf Course for recreation, the closure has been in effect, it's temporary but will be in effect for a while. They said it was for safety, people cannot wade in the water but you can fish from the shore. If people are in the water they're doing it illegally. The reasoning is logjams, some of them have been created for habitats by various agencies, and they have liability if people get sucked under a log.

Peter: We talked about Erikson logging, Landsburg Mine, Reserve Silica, etc. in the last few meetings, we should do some follow-up, we still have a lot of questions, Rhys got his hands on a lot of documentation, and I asked him if we could post it on our website.

Susan: When we have an update, we should have someone responsible for the decisions come tell us what's going on, not multiple representatives.

Steve: The consultants are the ones managing it, agencies are just overseeing them.

Peter: The Aspect geologists knew what was going on, but the Department of Ecology did not. One who came to speak wrote an article for the paper the next day, I reached out to him and apologized for comments I made at the meeting, the

geologists gave an excellent/detailed presentation.

Warren: We should thank them for their presentations.

Peter: Rhys sent emails thanking everyone who presented.

Warren: For those who don't get the Voice of the Valley, tomorrow night from 7:00-9:00 pm is the new Tahoma high school dedication and again this coming Saturday from 10:00-1:00. The public is invited to come see the new school. They were also able to rebuild Lake Wilderness elementary, Skanska did a wonderful job.

Steve: Back to our conversation on constituency, Tahoma school district has 27,331 registered voters, 15,683 live in Maple Valley, 536 in Black Diamond, and 10,932 in unincorporated KC. One third of registered voters in Tahoma are our constituents. Two thirds of people responding to our surveys will likely not be living in the UA, and most people do not know whether they live in incorporated or unincorporated areas.

Warren: Most people don't know, some people in Hobart think they live within Maple Valley city boundaries, but they don't if they can't vote for Maple Valley mayor.

Peter: FYI, there are no speakers scheduled for our next meeting.

Warren moved to adjourn, Hank seconded.

Motion passed

Meeting Adjourned – 9:25 pm