

# GMVUAC July 10, 2017

## Meeting Minutes

**Meeting Called to Order – 7:04 pm**

### **Members Present:**

Steve Hiester	Hank Haynes
Peter Rimbo	Sue Neuner
Rhys Sterling	Adam Sterling
Warren Iverson	Lorraine Blacklock
Stephen Deutschman	Susan Harvey

### **Members Absent:**

Linda Harer (proxy to Lorraine)

### **Agenda:**

Warren: Fire benefit presentation may take longer than 15 minutes.

Warren moved to approve agenda, Rhys seconded.

**Motion passed**

### **April/May/June Meeting Minutes:**

Moved to after guest speaker.

### **Public Comment Period:**

Resident 1: Does this council cover the Woodside area?

Steve: The GMVUAC only covers areas within the Tahoma school district.

Resident 1: We are looking to take action against a proposed road to the U.S. Nike Missile installation, we are opposing a road that would increase access and traffic, we understood that there was a meeting for people at Fairwood Library, it is going through a feasibility study, it was described as extending a driveway, but that is a misrepresentation. Nobody in our neighborhood of 465 homes is supportive, Fairwood Greens Homeowners Association wants to oppose road, would at least like a locked gate, how do we go about doing that?

Peter: Is that part of the unincorporated area (UA)? Your King County (KC) Council Representative is Reagan Dunn? Have you spoken to his staff? Contact Tom Goff, and bring the issue up in the same way.

Hank: There is also a formal process for petitions for road closure, procedure by which

the association can petition KC Council about grievances.

Peter: Also contact Brenda Bauer with Dept. of Transportation (DOT) Roads Division.

Ty Peterson: I am with the Dept. of Permitting and Environmental Review (DEPR), I am familiar with the site, I'll leave you a contact card.

Warren: Did the school ever get a right of way through there for busses?

Resident 1: No, it's designated as a protected green space.

Resident 2: Parkside Way is already designated as a traffic problem area, we are trying to get more money from the county.

(90% of attendees were from Woodside, most leave)

### **Guest Speakers:**

Landsburg Mine Cleanup: Jerome Cruz, Dept. of Ecology

Jerome Cruz: I am with the Dept. of Ecology (DOE), Brad Petrovitch is our new outreach coordinator, and we have a fellow hydrogeologist, Mike. I will try to make this a short talk about the status of the site. I've been working on the Landsburg Mine site for 13-14 years now, here is some background info.

Where are we now, the 2013 public comments are done, we received lots of comments from the city of Kent and private citizens. Kent requested a health consultation to evaluate the contaminated site, that was finished this year, we compiled the responses into a summary, you can download the responses summary from the DOE website. We recently finished our final cleanup action plan, it is a conceptual plan that will become a consent decree binding on the parties who will do the cleanup with the DOE.

The site is a trench, it's an old coal mine 16 feet across and mined down to 700 feet, the land subsided so now a long trench exists, and the mine was closed down in 1975 by bulldozing the portal areas in the north and south. Rock Creek Watershed is located to the south, and the site is about 13 miles south of Issaquah. It's located on a hill, water came out of the portal areas after closing it down, in the late '70s mid '80s they were dumping industrial waste in the northern side, almost 500,000 gallons, it included paint, industrial waste, some metals, all confined within the trench.

Susan: Who was dumping at the site?

Jerome Cruz: Five companies, I have a list, BNSF Railway, PACCAR, Weyerhaeuser has taken over responsibility for Plum Creek Timberlands, Palmer Coking Coal Co. (and TOC Holdings). They are paying for the cleanup. The trench is 20-60 feet deep, 60 feet wide, we have not found any contamination, but the main risk is groundwater. We are investigating whether anything leaked out, but results are that it is contained within the site, 1996-98 Remedial Investigation and Feasibility Studies (RIFS) helped us decide what would work best. Findings were that wastes are in the northern trench and not in the southern part, groundwater is not showing that anything is coming out, and outside of northern area we are not seeing any risks to human health.

Peter: You have been monitoring for 25 years, what do your geologists think?

Jerome Cruz: Keep monitoring, we have wells to take measurements, water is not flowing to the east or west, mostly coming out through the mine workings, we are taking a conservative position that in future contamination might come out, we did analytical monitoring for how fast contaminants might flow out, have a schedule for monitoring. This could change when the cap is put on. We have 11 wells concentrated in the northern and southern parts, wells on either side, and the cleanup plan will install 4 more sentinel wells closer to the contamination, will use info to determine what actions to take.

Next we will cap the trench, then landscape it so that water flows away from the trench, and we have a contingency plan in place to pump out water to prevent water from going into the site and treating it. We also have restrictions on how groundwater is used in the area and on the land use of the site, cap areas will not be disturbed. Funding is indefinite, it will continue without stopping. Contingency plan includes pre-positioning of infrastructure such as cement pads, roads, fencing, etc., to allow quicker response time and take care of possible delays for treating or pumping. Some infrastructure is in place already, including a system to confirm nothing is coming out of the mine, performance wells to measure water levels to ensure that water is flowing toward mine not flowing out, and chemical testing.

Why protective measures is because capping waste prevents direct contact, it also prevents leaching from rainwater, it's been open for 30 years, so this will limit the amount of water and contamination and add protectiveness. Institutional controls will also restrict future land use. We performed private well testing, did it in 1995-96 but did not find anything, 2-3 years ago we received some comments and took our own samples, did not find anything in the northern part. The cleanup plan will do private well sampling in focused areas for 5 years, historical evidence shows that contamination has not gone out of the site, and site wells are much closer to the waste.

Slides show where the cap will be, what the cap will look like, we will put in clean fill and landscaping, diversion trenches. Another slide shows how it will affect the water table, the water inside the well is lower which will make water more inclined to stay in the mine, will have not as much water as before from caps. Water is coming out in the north and south, in the middle is a groundwater divide, we are pretty sure the divide can be maintained after capping, preserving the divide will alleviate any worry about the Clark Springs water supply. This map shows the six-month travel boundary for the Clark Springs zone near the south, so capping the north end is very important.

We adjusted the plan after talking with people and receiving comments, adjusted the well timing, depth, locations, performance wells for pumping. We have trigger levels for when to monitor more frequently, changed those to make them more expedient, and made other minor modifications. For contaminants to come out it would take 15-26 years, sentinel wells would detect by then, performance wells would show if water was not coming out. Trigger points for certain tasks were revised to when contaminants are detected at sentinel wells, would give us more

time to start pumping, etc., can have some estimates within a month, which is enough time based on how groundwater flows. We also changed some of the frequency of testing to address comments. The testing schedule shows how frequent testing is, it starts every two weeks, then every month, then less needed as time progresses. As for the anticipated schedule, the consent decree is finished and awaiting signatures, the cleanup plan is finished, once they are signed we will be doing paperwork permitting, engineering/design reports, contractor bids, etc. In summer/spring of 2018 is year 1 for construction, will put fill in then wait 1 year for it to settle down, so everything will happen over 2 years, then mostly monitoring after infrastructure is in place. I have handouts with me, so please contact me if you have any questions.

Susan: You said you will be adding clean fill, but what is it composed of? What composes the cap?

Jerome Cruz: We were thinking of using old mine spoils but that idea has been tossed, we will test the fill materials it first, it will be some sort of aggregate, some clay fill, not the same as a landfill but not porous, details will come out when the design report is released.

Hank: There are 4,500 barrels still in place? Are there PCBs in there? Agent Orange etc., can't some contaminants evaporate? What about a perforated pipe to burn off?

Jerome Cruz: In 1992 there was an expedited response action, took out 60 barrels, but barrels were disintegrating as they were being taken out. Based on records there are 4,500 drums, holes in drums could break open if moved. PCBs are among the contaminants detected there. They are common contaminants at many sites, we know it's there, and we have a comprehensive analysis. There's also TCH, used in industrial degreasing operations, and industrial waste. It depends on how much there is, it took 10 years before the site was reported, we have been trying to determine what happened, and we now know where the wastes are and where they could come out. The trench is unstable, but encapsulated by bedrock, so containment is the best solution, contaminants might move more toward the portal areas, not as much through the bedrock.

Peter: What is the depth/length of the waste portion? Have geologists determined why there has been no contamination? Strictly because of the bedrock?

Jerome Cruz: The whole trench is 700 feet deep, 1 mile from portal to portal, and the dumping site is about 1/3 or 1/4 of mile? Can only theorize why there has been no contamination, might be absorbed by carbon, several hypotheses, but we are assuming it's still there, going through the process of retardation. If anything went into the interior, either there was not enough mass or it has been absorbed by the coal. We have a well 700 feet deep in the interior of the mine, the City of Kent is worried about contamination, but nothing was found in the south interior of the mine, we are not planning more studies as we now know where it's coming out. One hypothesis is that the contaminants have already gone out, but there are no remnants in the soil, so it's probably still being absorbed or inside the drums, but we need a system for when the drums dissolve.

Steve: Were there any studies on what would happen in an earthquake? Any faults in the area?

Jerome Cruz: We have something in place for a magnitude 10 earthquake on the Mercalli scale (based on effects, above 6.5 on Richter scale), that scale was chosen as more practical, we would need to investigate again if an earthquake occurs. A dead end was found when mining, it turns out that that was a fault, fractures were found but they are not transmitting water.

Susan: Is the main concern here water contamination? How is this tied to how you will be reviewing well water, as many might not want testing to avoid any drop in property value.

Jerome Cruz: The main risk pathway is groundwater contamination, we've tested it several times, most who agreed were in likely spots, but we cannot force people to allow testing, and we have wells in place closer to the site.

Brad Petrovitch: To clarify, we don't have a fear that that is going to happen, the Model Toxics Control Act (MTCA) cleanup laws have us look at pathways to prevent, we have to look at possible exposure pathways, but that doesn't mean we have a "fear" that anything will happen.

Jerome Cruz: It's been 30 years, so not much fear at this point.

Warren: Regarding water quality, is Kent testing their water? Do you have their results? What kind of private well testing? 30 years of testing and no contaminants, is it anything like septic tanks?

Jerome Cruz: Kent does their own testing, but they haven't found anything, in 1995/96 we tested 10 or so wells, 2-3 wells for voluntary testing this last time, but no contamination found. Sometimes we might find traces of copper, but not traceable to this site. We are not looking for microbial contaminants, such as you would be looking for with septic tanks, we are looking for synthetic materials, there is some arsenic only at the deepest part of mine.

Hank: You said there is a coal seam under the trench, how deep do the mines go, and could it be a conduit for migration? Or is the coal a carbon filter?

Jerome Cruz: The seam was mined out, we don't think of it as a conduit but as a bathtub surrounded by walls but with a drain, all part of the site. There are several theories for why there has been no contamination, one is carbon, and it is more operative than the others.

Steve: How is funding ensured into the future? What about bankruptcy?

Jerome Cruz: One company did declare bankruptcy, PLP (potentially liable person) is still liable and will have to pay, we have financial assurances. The laws only allow us to do monitoring and maintenance, and compounding interest pays for that.

Michael Brathovde: How many chemicals do you test for?

Jerome Cruz: 220, including volatiles, PCBs, etc.

Reserve Silica Land Use/Water Bank: Keith Dearborn, Reserve Silica

Keith Dearborn: I was here last month, I represent Reserve Silica (RS), I was asked to come back to talk about the water bank we are creating to respond to the Hirst decision and future use after cleanup is completed, we'll be going first then Randy Sandin will present. Carl Einberger works for Aspect Engineering, we are using

Aspect for the water bank, we have handouts that explain the process, Marisa Floyd has the docket request we filed on June 30th, the next step is to file for rezoning and the comprehensive plan, we will be presenting it before the KC Council in November. We wanted to ask for your feedback first, and docket process goes for several months. First, Carl will discuss the Osprey Water Exchange.

Carl Einberger: I am a hydrogeologist with Aspect, Dave Cook and Carla Brock spoke here a month ago. Osprey Water Exchange is a water bank RS is proposing to set up, they are working with Aspect, but I am not involved with the RIFS process, so will have to defer if you have questions on that, I am focused on setting up the water bank. RS has a water right dating back to 1967, the instream flow rule dates to 1980, so according to the prior appropriation rule RS's right predates instream flow, which determines how it is affected by the Hirst decision, this water could then be put into a trust for when the mine reclamation is finished. There is a DOE review and several procedures before water can be put into a trust, it can then serve as mitigation for future trusts. Water is a property right, it is the state giving the use of water to specific individuals for specific uses, industrial, residential, etc. We envisioned this to serve as a water reserve for the Lake Sawyer region, it could alleviate restrictions on water users.

For background, exempt wells used by residences without access to water districts are limited to 5000 gallons per day or less. The Hirst decision was a Washington Supreme Court decision from Whatcom County, counties previously only had the responsibility to look at the physical availability of water when permitting new structures, but not the legal availability, and Hirst pushed the legal availability onto the counties themselves, different counties are handling it differently. Some are stopping housing permits, others are waiting, Skagit issued a moratorium, Kittitas has started water banks. This map shows the distribution of water banks in operation, Dungeness is one, there are several public and private ones in Kittitas and other counties, many around the state, so it's a growing concept.

Water banks are a redistribution mechanism, senior water right holders distribute water to new users, new users get a mitigation certificate not a right, the bank does debits and accounting, cannot give away more water than the right originally owned, the law requires everything must be reported to the DOE, they have a website tracking water banks. There is info on the DOE site, also fixHirst.com has resources. The DOE will also have a website for the RS RIFS, and the water exchange will be added to that. This responds to demand, offers mitigation for new users, and reliability for existing uses, uncertainty of future litigation may put exempt wells at risk.

The concept of water banking here is that RS has pre-1980 water rights, new water rights in the same basin would require mitigation, not reliable for a public water source, here RS rights will be transferred to Osprey, that water will be held in trust by the state trust program, then water allocations can go to new users. The amount of water cannot drop below what would have been used otherwise, there is a zero-sum between what goes in what is taken out.

The schedule is summarized in the handout, this month we are submitting the

water right change application to the DOE, will be doing an evaluation of how much water use has occurred at the site, acre-feet of water is used in the calculation but different in actuality, how water rights work is if you don't use it you lose it, and water has continued to be used. August 2017 is the public notice for the application, it will be published in 2 local newspapers, comments can be sent to the DOE for 30 days. There will also be a hydrogeological study to determine where the water can be used, currently water right is for withdrawing from Ravensdale Lake, so this water cannot go to Skagit county by debiting it to this bank, must be hydrologically connected to this river system, same basin. There must be a trust water agreement agreed to by the DOE defining rules on how water can be used, a draft will be prepared by the end of the year, a Report of Examination will also be prepared and the DOE must agree and sign off, then it will be published for a 30-day comment period, that should be in the first quarter of 2018. The final report and transfer in will be in the second quarter of 2018, and then the bank should be up and running.

Hank: If the water table starts dropping, do you reevaluate? With senior water rights, it used to be you were able to dig 15 feet and get water, now you need to dig hundreds of feet.

Carl Einberger: Local impairment needs to be taken into account, the hydrogeological study involved will determine where use is suitable and what the potential impacts might be.

Peter: Is there a legal difference between industrial water rights and others?

Carl Einberger: Cannot transfer water without going through this water right change application, the Report of Examination and hydrogeological study also come into play, there is a 4-part test looking at impairment, several legal requirements, such as whether it is in the public interest, all done by the DOE.

Susan: Is this standard procedure or as a result of the Hirst decision? Will it be voluntary, and how many others will be impacted downstream?

Carl Einberger: The study will look at downstream impacts, things need to be looked at on an individual basis. The goal is to not negatively impact others, that is the point of the review process with the DOE. The process is standard procedure under state water laws for setting up water exchanges.

Peter: Why now? How is this benefiting RS? How much will be charged for using the water bank?

Carl Einberger: RS wants to protect its water right, there would be a charge to buy mitigation certificates.

Marisa Floyd: When we recognized we did have a water right, we found we could transfer it from industrial to other uses. It also has to do with the timing of the Hirst decision, as KC is allowing people to build new homes but they don't know what to do. Yes RS will benefit, but we would like to protect other people to build in area as well, it will only be in the Lake Sawyer basin. We don't know how much money, the concept is very new, somewhere above \$10,000, we are still doing studies on how much of a right we own.

Keith Dearborn: What about information on other water banks and how they are operated?

Carl Einberger: Other banks range from \$20,000 and up depending on circumstances.

Marisa Floyd: We still don't know how much.

Hank: How many cubic feet of water usage?

Marisa Floyd: No set amount of acre-feet of water, could be 10-40, we are still studying it, use is calculated as consumptive use, it's a very gray area, we wanted to get out in front of it and make you aware of what we are doing.

Susan: I live close by, will this water only be coming up from your property? Who would control nearby wells?

Carl Einberger: What happens is that there is water use at the site, the lake has an outlet into the system, so when this right transfer goes into effect water use at the site stops, so there will be no net impact. If someone drills a well next to yours there are rules of impairment, the DOE regulates these, any impact cannot be unreasonable, but on a personal level it should have no impact.

Michael Brathovde: Is there a water well on the property?

Marisa Floyd: We have a pump, I came on recently so I don't know the particulars, but we have monitoring wells, but not drinking water.

Donna Brathovde: This plan depends on the water right to draw from the lake?

Marisa Floyd: I brought the docket form and proposed lot segregation plan handouts, there are a total of 7 lots.

Rhys: We can ask more about land use at the RS site during Randy's presentation.

#### Reserve Silica Discussion: Randy Sandin, DPER

Randy Sandin: I apologize for missing last month's meeting, I work for DPER, we have a permit for sand mining on the RS property, they are in the final process of finishing up, the area covered by our permit is in proposed lot 5 (on map handout), other parts cover reclamation of the plant site, the closed landfill site is on lot 6, we have no regulatory authority over that portion. RS filed the lot subdivision process earlier this year, they are exempt from public notice requirements, etc., but they must comply with minimum lot size standards. The minimum lot size for mining zones is 10 acres, all mining lots exceed that, proposed lot 3 is primarily forest, and the minimum lot size for forestry zoning is 80 acres. The plant site and closed landfill sites will retain their mining zoning, lot 3 will be forest zoning, 3-5 acres in lot 3 are currently zoned as mining, and lots 1, 2, and 4 are proposed for RA-10 zoning. Final redline revisions are being done now, the zoning process is more complex as part of the comprehensive plan update, the docket request will not be acted on until the 2018 comprehensive plan in late 2018. We're anticipating reclamation will be complete by 2018, the plant site equipment has all been sold and must be removed within 1 year.

Susan: My understanding was that all would be zoned forestry.

Randy Sandin: One map has the current zoning, the majority is zoned for mining, 70 acres are currently for forestry, a demonstration project here was approved as part of the 2012 comprehensive plan, but that is no longer on the table, that proposal was not carried forward in the 2016 comprehensive plan. How mining zoning works is that when the land is mined out you must request a zoning change, we



then look at neighboring zoning, you must go through the rezoning process or it would stay mining. The request was for the plant site and lots 5 and 6 to retain mining, while 1, 2, and 4 would be RA-10, their current zoning is mining.

Peter: What criteria are there for mining to be changed to RA-10? Would this be in the 2018 annual review comprehensive plan as opposed to the 2020 4-year review? I was under the impression that this could not be looked at until 2020.

Randy Sandin: There must be some basis, we will not approve industrial zoning in the middle of a forest, for example. Zoning changes must start a year in advance, anyone can file a docket request, it may not get looked at until 2020, DPER must evaluate then make recommendation, there is an appeal process, etc., so there is no guarantee that this will get any traction.

Peter: Ivan Miller with the KC Executive Office was here last month, it would have been beneficial to find more about this then.

Randy Sandin: People file requests all the time that are rejected, comprehensive plan policies guide recommendations, and the filing of a docket request is just the first step in the process.

Rhys: We also had questions about the Erikson property, logging, and adjacent properties. Is that all zoned forestry?

Randy Sandin: Most is forestry, some mining, that is immediately to the south and east of the RS property, in 2008 Erikson logging filed an application to fill in 6 coal mine trenches, in went through the environmental review, the first 3 trenches were approved in 2011, those were substantially completed last year, a 2013 revision approved 2 more of the 6 trenches for a total of 5, and those started this year. We have some outstanding issues with the 3 completed trench fills, some ongoing issues with the site in the past, most have been addressed, for example trucks were tracking mud onto Ravensdale Road, so they installed a wheel washer earlier this spring. The 3 original trenches were overfilled, we requested they do an as-built plan to evaluate what they've done, there are stability issues with one trench, we made recommendations for more work. One of the complexities with this property is that it all should be forestry, all was done under state-issued forest practice permits, the issue is that the state was saying it was okay, so Erikson brought a crusher in for industrial concrete under their state permit, but the state had not actually approved it, so it should be disassembled and offsite within a week. Once the as-built plan is received they may have to go through a re-permitting process, one addition trench is not yet filled, they should be filing paperwork to approve filling later this year.

Susan: Mike and Donna Brathovde are very familiar with the site, do they have any questions?

Randy Sandin: We met a couple months ago, they provided me with a lot of useful information, the applicant owner is now providing details so we can figure out how to remedy issues.

Mike Brathovde: Have you renewed their permit? They have been hauling a lot of stuff, foreign garbage, etc. Have they been approved to accept contaminant waste? We heard they applied and received a permit for accepting waste.

Randy Sandin: Their permit was provisionally renewed with restrictions, they cannot use

a certain haul route by Buck Lake, they also cannot do additional filling or topsoil placement. They would need a landfill permit from the Dept. of Public Health, but they have not filed one, and I heard there was no interest on their part to do so. I will check up more on that. There was also a question earlier regarding the lot lines, those correspond with the shapes of permits, landfill sites, etc.

Keith Dearborn: Any more questions for us?

Rhys: After a large lot segregation, what is the waiting period until further subdivision?

Keith Dearborn: No further subdivision would be possible unless it is rezoned, for lot 3 the docket request is to change it to RA-10 zoning, this would allow 12-14 homes on the 120 acres, but without approval we cannot do anything. The forestry parcel to the south we can sell to someone wanting to buy for forestry. Other parcels we can sell as mining, but cannot do anything other than that, but they could not get mined further, and we have no intention of mining.

Mike Brathovde: Regarding transferred development rights (TDR), would these lots be eligible for receiving TDRs from the other lots?

Keith Dearborn: No, they would be treated just like regular RA-10 properties, 12 homes max depending on use.

Marisa Floyd: I would be happy to come back in August, we should not have any further developments then, but you can e-mail us questions.

#### Fire Benefit Rating System: Aaron Tyerman, Maple Valley Fire Chief - 8:50

Aaron Tyerman: We have a ballot measure for a fire benefit charge (FBC) up for vote on August 21st, I have been rolling out presentations to communities, fire stations are doing community outreach this week at various fire houses around the area. I will give you facts about the FBC, where to find facts, and I will answer any questions. I am not telling you how to vote, just giving you the information that you need. Why is the fire district again asking for this, the ballot measure last year failed at 58%, we need 60% to approve, a committee was put together afterwards and most people interviewed believed that it had passed, many voted no because they did not understand what the charge was and what the benefits were of passing it, we did not do a good job of explaining why and what for. What we do as firefighters is respond to fires, EMS calls, downed power lines, etc. Anything people report to 911 and not law enforcement then the fire department does it. Traditional funding measures are not working, the FBC is not based on property, I-747 property tax cap was passed in 2001 and it limits increases to 1% at a time, based on cost of living. But based on the consumer price index (CPI-W), there was 1.8-2.4% inflation per year in this area, so we automatically start falling behind, compression rate, my job as fire chief is planning for future of communities but it is hard to plan year to year under this system. Tim Eyman wanted districts to come out every year and ask for something, but every election costs us \$50-75,000, and I have been talking about the FBC this week instead of working as chief. The recession affected fire departments, we eliminated costs by eliminating a deputy chief position, no more

public outreach coordinator, we have fewer other staff, and fire engines are 3 years behind in inspections.

To answer the biggest questions I have received, the FBC will only be charged against a house and attached garage, not any other buildings or detached garages, barns, etc. You will only be charged for a house and attached garage. The commissioners and I took the value of buildings into consideration, decided to use this calculation, which is different from last time the ballot measure was put forward. There is no double tax with banked capacity, no need for that because that was when up to a 6% property tax increase was allowed, would let districts increase amount up to maximum without another election. Vacant lands, camping pads, camping spaces are not taken into account, the FBC is only based on what it takes to defend homes from fires. The FBC will be used to pay for operations, staff, etc., funds will just become part of our general budget, so anything we normally do. Senior discounts are available and will be honored by the department, you can call the station if you do not currently have a senior discount. This graph shows a line in the center at \$1.31 per thousand which is the average level of funding. The rate was higher in 2014 at \$1.61 per thousand per day, but we will be running \$1 million in the red this year, and our funding will be at \$1.26 per thousand next year, so things will get interesting if the FBC is not passed. If the FBC passes, Hobart station 85 is sitting on a septic system not capable of holding a full-time staff, it has outlived its usefulness and we need to replace it, so we will build a new station across from Tahoma Middle School, we will also build a new community room in Hobart and a substation for the Sheriff's Dept., we already own the land there. We are also looking to secure regional moneys, we need a regional volunteer training center, at the federal level FEMA and NFPA has a lot of grant money available, that would help offset the cost of building, try to make our money go further. The Ravensdale station 82 was built in 1981, it has maintenance issues, we want to remodel it and add a community meeting space and police substation.

Susan: Ravensdale has no community meeting center, we were trying to plan something with Parks. Any updates on that meeting centers?

Aaron Tyerman: The cost is in the exterior, it would help with public outreach, and it makes it easier for scheduling as this meeting room is always booked. I don't know about the permitting process. We will also bring staff levels back. If the FBC fails, we have critical decisions to make, there is little fat to trim here, we will need to disband our volunteer staff program, close volunteer stations in Ravensdale, Hobart, and near the Playmor Tavern. Our site [maplevalleyfire.org](http://maplevalleyfire.org) will show you how much the charge would be, it does not take into account assessed value, it is based on what it takes us to defend your home in case of a fire, the current charge is assessed for house and land, but the cost to fight fires is the same regardless of location or lot acreage, so that has changed. If you have no senior discount you can get one, there is also a 10% reduction for sprinklers in your house, things are built in to mitigate costs, the average person will see an increase of \$8-10 per month. I would encourage you to get informed, ask insurance companies what happens to insurance when fire departments close. In

my case, my house is in rating class 4, under our current coverage if our rating class changed to 9-A, our \$1,100 insurance payments would jump to \$2,300.

Hank: If this is going through the Treasurer's office, why not take current senior discounts?

Aaron Tyerman: I apologize if I was unclear, if you already have a senior discount we will honor those, you will not need to apply for new discounts, we are just helping people to apply for senior discounts if they do not currently have them.

Susan: What is it we have now? Is the problem with the current tax system?

Aaron Tyerman: We're part of a junior taxing district, the hierarchy places fire departments at second from the bottom above cemeteries, the taxing districts were set up when most fire departments were all volunteer, we cannot keep up the way its set up currently, the current tax structure is broken, and with I-747 it makes it difficult to plan for the future especially with the levels of growth in this region. How many firefighters are covering the 53 square miles in Maple Valley? Currently only 9, but we run okay because we have a good business model, but we need to be creative to make it fair and the fire department is responsible to try to make money from taxpayers go as far as it can.

Hank: Can you expand the Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) program?

Aaron Tyerman: We are having a hard time getting people to show up and volunteer, much less go through the certification process. I started in 1995, my training was "pull this lever, don't touch this hose." Volunteers now must follow the same rules and commitments as firefighters, not as many coming now. I'm writing a master's thesis, people are conditioned to call 911 for every problem, if they can't change a tire, etc. Our 9 firefighters will be used up quick when a real disaster strikes. I am passionate about community resilience, people need to be part of the solution.

Warren: There has been a check and balance in past years, will that now be at the commissioner's level? If the FBC passes, I would encourage more than just one meeting per year.

Aaron Tyerman: We hold a public meeting every year, where we lay out the budget and get public input. Will consider getting more community involvement.

Lorraine: In the years after 9/11, I think it's a shame you need to come and beg for money each year, our safety should be a priority for the county. What you need should be at the top of the budget.

Steve: I live in the Kent fire district, would I not get to vote for this? 2 minutes away from here.

Aaron Tyerman: That would be Puget Regional Authority, you can only vote if you live in this district. If you have any other questions, go to our website at [maplevalleyfire.org/benefit-charge/](http://maplevalleyfire.org/benefit-charge/), or by e-mail [fbcc@maplevalleyfire.org](mailto:fbcc@maplevalleyfire.org) comes directly to me, I've been trying to answer everything as soon as possible. I want to do right by the community.

Warren: You will be in Ravensdale tomorrow? Hobart on Wednesday? (Yes)

Peter: Talking about RS, the two presentations from last month and this month are linked, the water bank proposal is to placate the KC Council so they can move forward with rezoning, it is a demonstration project under a different name, I will call Ivan

Miller tomorrow morning, the comprehensive plan update said they will not be looking at this until 2020, the water bank might be to placate and get around the comprehensive plan. We need to get on top of this, we fought against demonstration projects for good reasons, now 120 acres of mining will be rezoned to RA-10.

Susan: In the Erikson discussion, Greg Wingard has been involved, and he suggested forming an alliance to work with each other. I cannot speak for the whole council, we would use each other as support, can I tell them it's fine? It's the Green River Coalition, don't know any more background.

Peter: So long as it fits with what we are doing.

Steve: It should be a case-by-case decision, where it makes sense.

Susan: Greg has tremendous background knowledge, we could bring in people with more info, he's done much with the Landsburg mine, concerns about carbon blocking seepage.

Rhys: In the future, don't believe it when people say they have 5-min presentation.

Peter: The docket item is a Growth Management issue, waste disposal is Environmental, and haul routes is Transportation.

Warren: For the upcoming election, the Hobart Post Office now has a county-sponsored drop box, it happened 2 weeks ago.

### **Council Business:**

Website Update: Linda Harer

Rhys: Linda is not here today, so no updates.

Steve: Who's responsible for updating our current site? Need to change the date of the Train Show to October 21st and 22nd, the link still says 2016.

Peter: Treesa is in charge, send me an e-mail.

Meeting Minutes: Adam Sterling

Adam: I received some minor updates from Peter, will address those, otherwise the minutes for April, May, and June are finalized.

Peter moved to approve all three months with Peter's housekeeping comments, Rhys seconded.

**Motion passed**

### **Committee Reports:**

Transportation: Susan Harvey

Susan: Two signs were put up in Hobart showing speed, now I have to slow down some times, but we have a victory. I also want to work on getting DPER to get trucks out of the Ravensdale Community Meadow area, trucks are going by the park, I

talked to someone from DOT there, they suggested I talk to Reagan Dunn, we need to get the trucks out of there. Can we do this with the Meadow, by myself, or with the Transportation Committee? Parks is getting no traction because the DPER guy in charge, Fred White, has retired. What should we do? Can I notify Councilperson Dunn?

Lorraine: It is dangerous, and something needs to be done.

Steve: Put a letter together and we can vote on it.

Susan: I can wait until August, I will contact Parks again, ask if anything more has happened with DPER. I will send out an e-mail, but not sure what I want to do.

Steve: Put together something for August.

Peter: If you're just asking questions you don't need an official GMVUAC letter, you can just ask.

Economic: Hank Haynes

Hank: There is a meeting for the Puget Sound Regional Council (PSRC) coming up on July 12th, I brought a letter that I would like to read at the meeting as a representative of the GMVUAC. (Reads letter)

Peter: These comments refer to comments we sent earlier to the PSRC Regional Economic Strategy document, they will be talking about recommendations we made at the meeting.

Warren moved to approve Hank to make the statement, Peter seconded.

**Motion passed**

Peter: No guests for the August meeting, could we do council business then?

Rhys: I will not be there.

Chair adjourned.

**Meeting Adjourned – 9:44 pm**