

# GMVUAC July 2, 2018

## Meeting Minutes

### **Meeting Called to Order – 7:00 pm**

#### **Members Present:**

Steve Hiester	Hank Haynes
Peter Rimbo	Rhys Sterling
Adam Sterling	Sue Neuner
Lorraine Blacklock	Warren Iverson
LarKen Buchanan	Stephen Deutschman (Dutch)
Luke Hansen	Paul Schultz

#### **Members Absent:**

Susan Harvey (proxy to Dutch)  
Celia Parker (proxy to Rhys)  
Mike Thompson (no proxy)

#### **Agenda:**

Rhys moved to approve the agenda, Lorraine seconded.

#### **Motion passed**

Hank: I would like to add some discussion about the Puget Sound Regional Council (PSRC).

Steve: You can do so in the Open Discussion period at the end.

#### **Public Comment Period:**

Val Paganelli: I represent this area on the Tahoma School District Board, we graduated 525 seniors on June 14, Antonio Giurado is the new superintendent and his first day is today, I can coordinate to have him attend a meeting here. On July 28 the Maple Valley (MV) Rotary will be hosting its 8th annual Taste of the Valley, by the QFC and Tahoma Athletic Club, will have food, beverages, and entertainment, brought some poster cards. If you're not participating that weekend, best to avoid the area for traffic.

Rhys: We can discuss later to coordinate when the new superintendent can come give a presentation.

???: I'm here for the asphalt plant, been having a hard time trying to find out more about the carbon monoxide maintenance area.

Dutch: Was told it expired in 2016, but that does not answer the question, might have been extended, difficult to find out. I will request those files within the next couple days.

???: The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) documents just refer back to the Puget Sound Clean Air Agency.

Warren: The site itself appears to have been cleaned up.

Rhys: Part of code enforcement action, Sunset Industries was told by Lakeside to cease their operations.

Dutch: They still have to clean up contaminants. The EPA study was a large area, was told emissions were reduced but not by how much, when they were last measured, etc. I will follow up.

Warren: On the Tahoma School District, they still have money left over from the last building levy, might spend \$1 million for a new roof on one building, "warm and safe" program, Rob Morrow left but he kept promises and followed through, might take a year to complete other projects.

Val Paganelli: We are in the process of vetting the available projects and prioritizing them, some funds will be used to create equity between schools in the district for "warm and safe," security, etc.

Dutch: What about bus stop safety?

Val Paganelli: I will get back to you.

### **Guest Speakers:**

None

### **Council Business:**

#### **Bylaws Amendments:**

Rhys: We started the amending process in March, wanted to thank everyone for taking a look at the proposals and offering suggestions, Celia helped with formatting and grammar, its still a work in progress but this is a big step forward. I sent out the full motion this morning by e-mail.

Warren: Been revising for years, always a work in progress, Dutch will have his hands full.

Peter: Has everyone read the amended bylaws? (Most raise hands)

Dutch: If there are problems we can always change later.

Rhys: As issues arise can address in the future, hopefully with smaller corrections.

Warren: A lawyer was definitely involved in the definitions.

Peter: The new bylaws call for written committee reports to be sent out by e-mail 5 days before our monthly meetings.

Lorraine: This will hopefully save some time.

Hank: What if nothing to report?

Lorraine: Must still report that nothing happened.

Steve: What about things that happen within those 5 days? My concern is about keeping the meetings public, avoid doing everything by e-mail.

Peter: Recent changes can be discussed at the meeting, reports can be posted on our website, we want to not waste time at meetings.

Dutch: As Rhys's e-mail said, we should try out this format.

Rhys moved to adopt the revised amendments as distributed on June 30, Warren seconded.

**Motion passed**

(Susan voted no)

Rhys: I happily pass on the Bylaws Committee to Dutch as the new Chair, with Lorraine as the Vice Chair.

Committee Membership:

Peter: It had been difficult to get people on committees, but now there's an influx of people and committees are overstaffed, if you cannot make meetings then too many commitments will be difficult. I wanted to talk about each committee, discuss whether members can commit to each one, they must go to every meeting and read every e-mail. Few rules on committee membership, must be on one of the 4 major committees then on another or a focal point at a minimum, I don't want to kick anyone off, just want to make sure everyone has the time to do everything needed.

Hank: Some people's schedules can vary, may have time for a while but then get busy.

Peter: Membership is not permanent, you can leave a committee if you're too busy.

Warren: I'm no longer Vice Chair for Transportation, that's Dutch.

Peter: Will update on next committee matrix. You don't need to be on the committee to attend meetings, but must be on the committee to vote.

Rhys: We need someone for the Human Services focal point, deals mostly with health and housing, fairly broad, also the Train Show needs to be staffed.

Steve: Train Show is the third weekend in October, everyone doesn't need to be on the committee, just need staff for the event itself.

LarKen: I can be on the Train Show Committee.

(Discussion)

Steve: We can discuss membership going in order, left to right on the matrix.

Rhys: Bylaws, 5 members is fine, still working on Celia to join, I'm still on the committee but no longer as the Chair.

Steve: Train Show, will add LarKen, take off Warren.

Warren: I might be able to help staff the event.

Rhys: Public Relations, there are 4 members, Dutch wanted to be added.

Peter: Anyone with PR experience?

Steve: I'm on the committee due to experience with elections.

Rhys: We're also looking for people who want training with website management.

LarKen: I have some experience, check out [returntorenton.com](http://returntorenton.com), Celia also has IT experience.

Peter: Can discuss at the next PR Committee meeting, but I would like to see more graphics on our website.

Rhys: Celia and LarKen don't need to join the committee, but we can draw on their resources. I'm also Chair of the Environment Committee, Susan is the Vice Chair, we have 9 members including non-GMVUAC members Marcia, Wilco, and Kate. Does anyone wants to change?

Luke: I can be moved off.

Rhys: We haven't had a meeting, mostly work by e-mail, don't know how many need to be on the committee.

Steve: Committee members should be those willing to regularly attend meetings and do work, if just interested in the environment you can always attend a meeting and speak your mind, hard to make that commitment to 4-5 committees.

Hank: Can take me off of Environment as well.

Peter: I'm not on the Environment Committee but I've helped with work, they recently did 2-3 major document reviews, including the Black Diamond Stewardship Plan, mostly done by e-mail, need time to do that as well.

Rhys: I usually ask if people want to take the lead on each project, this last one Michael and Donna Brathovde took on the stewardship plan. Public review period is often only 2 weeks, not enough time to review 100-page documents, had to ask Kelly Heintz with King County (KC) Department of Natural Resources and Parks (DNRP) for an extension, etc.

Peter: We should be on all KC mailing lists, but might not.

Marissa Alegria: For DNRP, I will try to get you on a list.

Rhys: Let me know if we need to meet in person, we have enough members, also if anyone wants to take on Chair?

Peter: Rhys and Susan are Chair and Vice Chair on several committees, lots of work, committees can decide. Marissa, is there any way to contact the major KC departments to get more time, since we respond to everything?

Marissa Alegria: Yes, I'll look into that.

Rhys: Solid Waste as well, they're doing a major code revision.

Peter: For the Growth Management Committee, not a lot of meetings, but we had one a few months ago, Growth Management handles permits, etc. when they first come in, then might then send the issue to the Environment or Transportation Committees, we also manage the KC Comprehensive Plan updates, but now every 8 years. Will still look at docket items as they come in, but everyone gets involved when there is a major update. Each member is the focal point for a different subject to split up work.

Luke: I will stay on for my focal point.

Hank: I'm the Chair of the Economic Committee.

Luke: I would like to have a meeting, we can discuss me becoming Vice Chair.

Peter: Economic Committee did a major review of the PSRC Regional Economic Strategy (RES) and KC's strategy as well, they also convened a meeting in Issaquah between PSRC's Economic board and other stakeholders, a lot of

stuff to do, KC does not have much focus on economic development, no real plan for the Rural Area, PSRC also looks more at the big picture. Hank has been going to PSRC board meetings, on first-name basis, we need to take advantage of that, also might want to consider asking non-members to join.

LarKen: You can ask high school seniors interested in economics?

Dutch: Transportation, Susan is the Chair, I'm the Vice Chair, everything looks good.

Steve: No changes? (No)

Peter: I will make updates to the committee matrix. A different question, are there any new committees that we need to create? Environment used to be Natural Resources and Parks, then combined. Anything not being covered?

Hank: What about rural culture? Train Show is a part, would consist of event planning, Oktoberfest, etc.

Steve: That could fall under PR, Train Show could even be a subset of that.

LarKen: You need a mission statement, vision, and outcomes first.

Steve: Put a mission statement together, then you can present your idea.

(More discussion)

### **Committee Reports:**

#### **Executive:** Steve Hiester

Steve: The Executive Committee met, no summary sent out, we discussed website costs, approved the payment to our web consultant for training, which led to bylaws changes regarding budget proposals. We also discussed meeting schedules and agendas, urge everyone to follow the agenda then leave other discussion to the open discussion period, we need to be out of this room by 9:30, anything not on the agenda will be discussed at the end, must get agenda items to me prior to the meeting.

Warren: School district and fire department meetings limit speaking time to 2 minutes for public comment.

Steve: The real problem is when we have a speaker, we keep asking the same questions and interrupting.

Hank: Should we give more time for groups?

Steve: If it's a group, they can request an agenda item, otherwise 2 minutes each. Most of the time it works fine, the big issue is we need to follow the agenda.

Rhys: The fire department wants us out by 9:30, we've been asked several times, we also need to put room back together. We also talked about having a time manager at the meeting.

Warren: What about changing the ending time to 9:20?

Steve: Should do that, we just need to stay on topic.

#### **Public Relations:** Rhys Sterling

Rhys: Paul is working on getting speakers for August for the John Henry coal mine.

Paul: I have 2 so far for August, National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permitting and Puget Soundkeeper Alliance, trying to get someone from KC DNRP and from Pacific Coast Coal Company (PCCC).

Peter: We need to get notice out soon, Green Valley/Lake Holms Association wants to attend.

Rhys: We will get something out for our August agenda, we keep our website up-to-date. We also need to call a PR meeting, look at community area boundaries.

Paul: Will need to set aside an hour at our next meeting, hoping to get 4 speakers.

Peter: Might take the full meeting, room will be full, need as much advance notice as possible to publicize.

Warren: Then we should not invite the new Tahoma superintendent to our August meeting.

Paul: Hope to confirm by the end of this week, nothing from PCCC yet.

#### Transportation: Susan Harvey

Dutch: I sent out our committee report, we had a meeting on June 6, Chad Magendanz was there, as was Peter, we discussed the Issaquah-Hobart Road bypass, still many question marks on the report.

Warren: I talked with Lisa Kunihiro at KC Department of Transportation (DOT), will follow up with her when she gets back from vacation.

Dutch: Ravensdale Park status update, TJ Davis said signs would be in place by the end of June, but not there yet, will send him an e-mail about signs and gate.

Warren: I was also contacted about speed at Ravensdale, would like signs displaying speed, will talk to Lisa about that too.

Peter: I contacted Adam Emerson at Washington State (WS) DOT, he agreed to talk with us about the Issaquah-Hobart Road study, now they're a little behind, they might come talk with us in September or October, should be another big meeting with lots of groups, including Issaquah and Mirrormont, the interchanges affect traffic.

Warren: Why not just Four Creeks Unincorporated Area Council (UAC)? Will this room be big enough?

Peter: A lot of Mirrormont people will come from announcements on Nextdoor.

Lorraine: Chad Magendanz lives in Mirrormont as well.

#### Environment: Rhys Sterling

Warren: Update on septic tanks, I'm an alternate for Cindy Alia with Citizens' Alliance for Property Rights on the committee, was told it would be a full-time job until July 1, 2021, meetings will last through next June, then another at the end of 2019, then public hearings in 2021. We already had one meeting, they did not disclose who applied, 20 members but none representing UACs, Jeremy Simmons from Wastewater Management is running the committee.

Rhys: The State Department of Health is looking statewide at WAC 246-272A, on-site sewage systems, but we were overlooked.

Warren: While this would set the statewide standard, 12 counties around Puget Sound can impose higher standards. Every member there represents some group, the Tulalip tribe keeps records on septic systems, others do not. There was also a question on what is a septic tank.

Rhys: Have they disclosed the member list yet?

Warren: I did finally get that, I will send it to you. Our group will break into 2 committees, technical and policy, 1 meeting for each in July and August, then a full meeting in September, I will be allowed to attend and speak at both. Regarding wells, Water Resource Inventory Area 8 (WRIA 8) has grown to encompass the Landsburg area, all of Hobart and MV there, Scott Malone with WS Department of Ecology's (DOE) well construction program, I also talked with Doug Wood at DOE, he might come to a meeting, and Stacy Vynne McKinstry who was also interested in attending in September. KC has not set up anything yet to respond to the Hirst decision, we might be able to get on the WIRA Watershed Restoration and Enhancement committee, I don't know who is heading it. The first proposed Hirst fix is for drilling private wells, 5-acre requirement has been in existence since 1972, but for KC only, now limited to 950 gallons per day but to be revised downward, also drilling permits will be increased to up to \$500, used to be \$200. Will take 2-3 years to make recommendations, would like to invite DOE to our September meeting.

Rhys: Hirst decision info is on the Environment Committee webpage. Regarding the asphalt plant and alleged mini casino, no applications have been submitted yet, no scheduling on the KC Council Planning, Rural Service and Environment Committee either.

Peter: The Department of Permitting and Environmental Review (DPER) has not done anything more with the existing application either.

Rhys: Also checked the Cramer property on 248th Street, Maple Valley Industries' proposed marijuana processing plant, nothing new to report, but someone owes \$31,000 in permit fees. I check on all of these several times a week.

Cedar River Council Focal Point: Steve Hiester

Steve: No Cedar River Council (CRC) meeting this month but did have one last month, discussed sockeye salmon, normal cycle is 4 years, 15 million came out of the Cedar River, only expect 40,000 to make it back to the river. The question is whether sockeye salmon are viable, Lake Washington is the cause, few places for salmon to hide due to development, they spend a year in the lake, also there are more predators. Other issue is light pollution. Difficult problem to fix, but spending a lot of money. Other species are not affected as much, but returns are still relatively small, Cedar River is mostly sockeye salmon, no sockeye fishing season for years.

Train Show: Steve Hiester

Steve: I sent out invitations, heard back from some, expect most to return, this is our 21st year, the event will be on the third weekend of October.

### **Approve Minutes:**

Adam: In the future, please check the highlighted sections that I've attributed to you for corrections, I will try to put that info in the e-mail I send out.

Lorraine moved to approve the June minutes as amended, Rhys seconded.

**Motion passed**

### **Open Discussion:**

Hank: I brought a draft speech to give to PSRC, they're concerned with the deterioration of industrial-use space, trying to promote cultural capital, preserve types of human resource bases, converting cultural and social capital into products.

Rhys: Is PSRC asking for input? Do they have a plan? How would the Rural Area contribute?

Hank: They talk about bringing in businesses, but need a centralized idea. For example, Leavenworth created a strong plan, re-branded town to focus on German heritage. Why would a company want to invest in building products when underpinnings of the community can be changed? PSRC meeting is next week.

Lorraine: You can present this as a citizen, but not from us. We don't need to say something at every PSRC meeting.

Steve: We cannot discuss and redraft your speech within the open discussion time.

LarKen: I'm wondering about intent, not sure what you're trying to say.

Steve: Council does not have time to discuss and revise, the PSRC is not meeting about this issue either, if you want to present as individual you can, or we can discuss it later after you have revised it.

Peter: The PSRC Economic Development Board meets the first Wednesday of each month, I recommend our Economic Committee meet and discuss this first.

Warren: In August, we will only have speakers on the John Henry coal mine.

Steve: I also want a budget meeting with Dwight Dively, when would work?

Marissa Alegria: Before November, maybe in October. The budget vote is usually before Thanksgiving.

Rhys: Everything is up in the air still for September.

Warren: Might want to invite Stacy with DOE for water wells in September.

Steve: What percent of Rural Area lots are on wells versus other water sources, such as Cedar River?

Rhys: That info is on our website.

???: Question about the proposed mini casino, I assume it's not affiliated with a tribe?



Rhys: Just a rumor at this point, possibly a Silver Dollar Casino, not tribal. Would be limited, basically a card room, at the old MV Market. MV Holdings LLC owns the property now, very secretive, we will see what happens.

???: Slot machines and other gambling are only allowed in tribal casinos, but the tribes might object to a card room at that location, the Muckleshoot and Snoqualmie tribes have an agreement not to build casinos in that area.

Rhys: It would be the first mini casino to be built in the Rural Area, KC once banned.

Peter: Wanted to thank everyone for attending, this was an unusual meeting, usually we have speakers with various topics.

Hank: If you can stand this meeting then you pass the test.

Warren: Some public safety updates, on 208th Avenue the other day, there were 25+ police cars, heard that someone barricaded themselves in their house with a crossbow and kicked out others. Also there was an incident at the end of 200th Avenue, someone fired an AR-15 at a neighbor's house, ended in a gun battle. Last Saturday, loitering incident at the Hobart Store, called police, apparently guy had a warrant for arrest in Oregon. Also heard a house on 200th Avenue is leasing rooms to felons.

Chair adjourned.

**Meeting Adjourned – 9:07 pm**